Selecting the right keyword to promote your brand can be a difficult process. However, this challenging task is not impossible to master. The right keyword draws the right kind of visitors to your site. These visitors represent your potential customers. In order to select the appropriate keyword, you must pay attention to contemporary trends and shifts in your market. However, it is important to keep several techniques in mind.
Keyword Research Tools
There are many platforms out there to assist you in discovering what keywords rank higher than others. For example, there is Google Keyword Planner which allows you to search for keywords and receive a traffic list for a list of keywords. You can even compose keyword lists in order to search for new keywords based on that list.
It’s common sense for many, though we want to stress that not all keywords are created equal. Knowing how keywords are performing and trending is key to developing a smart content strategy. The website Moz offers another research tool called the Keyword Explorer which requires you to create an account on their website. This tool analyzes keywords in three categories called opportunity, importance and potential.
However, while these tools are a good starting point, Moz alerts start-ups that these tools cannot show us directly how valuable the website traffic will be from those searches.
In order to truly understand the value of keyword research, you will need to use a few other tools.
Judging the Value of a Keyword
Moz suggests a process by which to evaluate certain keywords. They first ask you to consider whether the keyword is relevant to your website’s content. Will visitors be happy with what they find when they find your website?
If the answers to those questions is yes, try searching for your prospective keyword in search engines. Once the results appear, analyze what you find. If you encounter advertisements related to this keyword, you should know that this is a profitable keyword.
These profitable keywords signify that it is often used by competitors. However, you can still purchase a test advertising campaign for the keyword using Google AdWords or Bing Adcenter. You can direct the website traffic to the appropriate page on your website and track the results. A common myth about keyword spending is that you need a high budget to make a difference – in actuality, it’s about playing your strengths and targeting keywords that you can rank for while keeping under your budget.
Finally, once visitors arrive to your website, use your analytical tools to look at the results. Look at the impressions, actual page visitors and profits gained.
Long Tail of Keyword Demand
Moz points out that the simpler the keyword, the less the potential value there may be. For example, if you take the keyword “shoes,” people may search for that term simply to look at shoes without buying anything. However, if they are looking for a brand of shoe, those keywords would rank higher.
Simple keyword searches compose 30% of web searches. The remaining 70% consists of the “long tail of keyword demand” which contains unique searches that together make up a substantial portion of Internet searches.
If your blog is using basic keywords, think about changing up what keywords you use in order to tap into the entirety of your internet audience on the web.
Keyword research is a time-consuming, yet essential process for your blog or business. Consider these tips and utilize keyword research tools at your disposal to craft the most successful research terms today.
We’d be remiss not to mention our own SEO tools as well, with Centori our aim is to make things like SEO simpler for small businesses, you can learn more about what we do here.